Thursday, January 22, 2009

Cookies and cuties

Not much going on around here lately, but the girls have been adorable as always. Here are a couple of pictures from this week.


Here's one of the little Pita Pocket making her camera face.

I tried and tried to get Menido to look at the camera and smile while showing off her new ring from Bubbie, but this was the best I could get.

She loved her yogurt this morning :)
Coloring, her favorite pastime


And, just a random cute baby playing in her play kitchen.

Now, on to the cookies. I decided Z didn't need any more toys or junk from us for his birthday, so I thought I'd make him some cookies to take to his classmates. Of course, I couldn't just make some chocolate chip and call it done, I wanted to make Star Wars cookies. After extensively searching the internet for cookie cutters, I realized they don't exist. I resigned myself to needing to make my own cutters and found some helpful tips for doing so. Last night when I went to the store to get the butter, flour, etc. for the dough, I happened upon a strange cookie cutter in the clearance basket at the grocery store. I took a chance on it and bought it. Turns out, it was meant to be my Yoda cookie cutter. I just had to bend it a little and reshape it very slightly and it made a perfect Yoda head. I still have no idea what it was supposed to be, but now it's Yoda. I've got the cookies baked and partially iced now, all I need to do now is pipe and paint on eyes, a mouth, a nose and a few wrinkles/shadows. Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of the work in progress. I'm having a lot of fun and am pleased with how they've turned out so far considering I've never done anything like this.


These were my inspiration, but Pete said this person's green was too dark. He made me give him final approval on the color. http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

3 comments:

  1. The cookies are looking good. I was thinking the cookie cutter might have been a long horn for University of Texas. What do you think? Anyway, it's fun to be creative isn't it? Zee will be so excited! You're a good aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I had to bend it to look like that. The original looked more like a fleur de lis, only not quite. I was thinking of taking a picture of one just like it next time I'm at Market Street and getting people to guess what it is, lol. I really couldn't tell and Pete couldn't either.

    I hope that Zee likes them, I still haven't tried painting the faces on, but think it will turn out cute. I made a couple of extra to give to Blake, Ethan and Damon if none get broken or ruined between now and then. I also wanted to make sure to have an extra or two in case Janine counted wrong or something. Anyway, I'll post a picture after I get faces on them, hopefully tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it was a lamb?? Easter cookies...

    ReplyDelete